Pages

Monday 12 November 2012

Ghost Wolf

Stumbling through the darkness I hear it
Sound creeping ever closer as the light dims
Full moon rises casting shadows on the bark
I stop
Spin around
It’s still there
I hear it
And so I run
Deeper into the woods seeking shelter
Undergrowth snatching at my lengthening stride
As I move beyond the reaches of discovery
Further from the light, on into the darkness
I pause
Nothing
Perhaps a distant snap of a branch
Silence
Crouching
I rest
Sucking in lungfuls of air calms my breathing
No longer panting, now watchful, alert
And I await the fresh dawn, sated, refreshed
Free of the wolf, the ghost in my blood

© Fergus Martin
2012

2 comments:

  1. fantastic superb outstanding written so very well it keeps you intrigued to know what happens next

    ReplyDelete