Pages

Monday 22 April 2013

Brain Freeze


There are many words
That spin inside my head
And most of them remain,
Unsaid

I came across a man
Just the other night
Who become two men
Much to my delight
A man of many voices
Bouncing this way and that
With Machine gun speed
And a Rat, tat, tat
And when those voices spoke to him
He listened carefully
He chose his answers wisely
And smiled most merrily

“Shut up”

He said listen to the voices
And you may understand
That wherever they may take you
Is not at your command
Emboldened I sought refuge
In the words that he had said
And listen to those voices
Deep within my head
But my voices seem so frail
Most certainly not clever
They sound so weak and fragile
Like a badly tuned zither

“Oh shut up”

But I listen carefully
To see where they will go
And wander just like Alice
Down that sleepy rabbit hole
A hole so deep and welcoming
It spirals into emptiness
And Alice, lovely Alice
Grabs tightly to her dress
Alice, Alice,
Who the fuck is Alice
The words they pour so freely
And fall into the chalice

“Oh Just shut up”

And still they purr and murmur
Charged within their world
That is not mine, now welcoming
Lets see how it unfurls
I throw the words around
Leave them scattered on the floor
Where walls of white surround them
From wounds so deep they pour
Not my room this is
Not red and gaily pictured
Plain white and strangely clinical
And smells like iodine tincture

“Oh shut up”

I met that man the other night
The one inside my head
Who said to me to listen
Hear what my voices said
What my voices said
Was not what I write
They said that I should listen
Each and every night
And so I listen carefully
As they argue to and fro
Where will they finally end
I guess I’ll never know

“Why won’t you shut up?
Just give me some peace
Nurse, please give me my meds
I need some sleep”

© Fergus Martin
Apr 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment